Saturday, November 22, 2014

The Color of Butternut Squash

Have you seen pictures of my house yet? I keep promising to post some and then never do. Here is a picture for your imagination. My house was built in the late 40's and has some very interesting colors in it. The most interesting and dated color can be found in the kitchen which coordinates coincidentally with the master bedroom. (You think the previous owner liked this color much?) Some might call it Pink. Some might call it Mauve. But as I prepared dinner tonight I realized that it is neither pink nor mauve. The color of my kitchen is the beautiful fleshy, pink color of Butternut Squash skin, which I think is an absolutely beautiful color, especially next to the bright orange color inside the squash. (That is the color of my back bathroom.)

As I peeled squash tonight for this recipe it accursed to me that the skin I was peeling off was an identical match to my counter tops. Although it is not my favorite color in bulk I can appreciate it a little better now. I sure do love the color of butternut squash, especially in the Fall.

By the way, the squash recipe was delicious. I kept thinking it would make a wonderful Thanks Giving Day side dish. You might even try making it with yams instead of squash.

No comments: