Thursday, April 16, 2009

The Soup is Hot!

I'm no good at coming up with my own recipes. Most of the time I don't even know what spices to use. That's what I use cook books for . . . to look up what exactly it is that makes that piece of meat or potato dish taste so good. So when I stumble across a good recipe I either hoard it (like my amazing coleslaw that I know none of you would really like anyway) or I have to share it with the world.


Here is a chowder that my relief society served at our Birthday Celebration. Which brings me to another fun bit of news. They emailed the recipe to me because my new calling is to put together the Relief Society bulletin every week. I love it. And you will LOVE this soup.


Corn and Potato Chowder with Ham

1/4 cup butter

2 1/4 cup water

4 cups raw potatoes

3 sliced green onions

2/3 cup chopped celery

6 T. flour

6 T. butter

2 1/2 cup milk or half and half

1 tsp. dill weed

1 tsp. salt

1/2 tsp pepper

2 cups grated cheese

1 can corn drained

2 cups diced ham


Place 1/4 cup butter, water, potatoes, celery, and green onions in large pot. Bring to a boil, then simmer for 20 minutes or until the potatoes are tender. Do not drain. Melt 6 tablespoons butter in saucepan. Stir in flour till smooth. Remove from heat. Gradually stir in milk or half and half and return to heat, stirring until thickened and smooth. Add seasonings, then cheese, stir until smooth. Add drained corn to vegetables and water. Add cream sauce to veggies. Heat thoroughly, but do not boil, the bottom can scorch easily. Add ham, Serve.

2 comments:

the ginabean said...

Because you love comments, I'll leave one. However, I bear bad news this time: I do NOT heart corn chowder...although this one sounds better than others I've tried.

Hope all's well with you!

Rachel said...

Sounds fabulous. Thanks for sharing! I still need your recipes for the cornflake breaded chicken and the spinach, sesame seed, mandarin orange salad. I loved them both and now that you're gone I have to have the recipes! Hope you're having a fabulous day!
Rachel