Wednesday, December 10, 2014

Cooking with M.

This week I have hidden the potatoes, and the chips, and the mini loaf pans, the salt and pepper, the computer paper, and the scissors. I would hide the water too, but I need it to continue to flow from the taps.

"Why," you ask, have I hidden all these things. Well, because one of my children has suddenly taken an extreme interest in cooking. Not cooking with Mom, nope. She wants to be independent in her culinary experimentation. And so, I've found a lot of cut up potatoes and shredded paper mixed with water and spices in mini loaf pans in various rooms in the house (usually close to a water source, water being one of the main ingredients in every recipe.)

Today I kept her busy helping me clean the house with a new game I called "The Quick Clean Up" in which I wrote 5 minute jobs on little strips of paper and put them into a bowl. The children would pick a job, set the timer, and try to complete the job in 5 minutes or less. It worked really well, especially for Jill.

Then we had lunch and a movie, and I drove into town to check on a Craig's List  doll house for Christmas. I came back empty handed, and found cut up yams in mini loaf pans full of water as an extra little bonus. Sweet!

We cleaned that up right before our friends came to play . . . baby sitting for a friend. We had a good time. So good that no one noticed M. sneak away while I was feeding the baby. I found her later in the kitchen making this scrumptious meal:

We will call it,
M's popcorn and pudding yams. 
(another possible Thanks Giving delight)

Popcorn
Vanilla pudding
BBQ sauce
Yams
honey
Salt
Pepper
Basil

Cover the bottom of a casserole with un-popped popcorn. Mix in Honey. Place yams on top of popcorn base. Spread BBQ sauce over yams and sprinkle with vanilla pudding, salt, pepper, and basil. Stand back and marvel at your masterpiece. Call others to marvel as well.

No comments: