Wednesday, December 10, 2014

20 different words for snow

I've heard people say that the Eskimos have 20 different words for snow. I only know about 5 ways to talk about snow, but my vocabulary is expanding. It snowed over Thanksgiving weekend and was about all melted by the time we returned from Grandma and Grandpa's house. We thought about buying a shovel, but didn't.

Yesterday the day started out with freezing rain, then rain, the freezing rain again. Then in the evening the rain became heavy wet snow flakes. Every evening event was canceled, and we listened as two of our neighbors shoveled their drives together.

This morning Matt shoveled most of ours and then left for work. He called from work early to tell me that everything was very wet. Snow was still coming down and I called it a snow day for our family and we stayed in our PJ's and did laundry. The children found their snow clothes and played outside for a little bit.

After lunch, everyone went down for naps and I attempted to clear the rest of the drive and front walk. All I can say is this is not Idaho snow. It's mostly water and a little bit of ice. It's so heavy that my shoulder hurt after doing just a few shovel fulls. It's going to make great snow forts, snow men, sledding hills . . . but it really stinks to shovel.

No comments: