Sunday, November 15, 2009

Saving Grace

Hanging out in the middle of the night with Jill has been a huge adjustment for me. After an especially hard night 5, I started wondering, like most new mom's i'm sure, how I would be able to keep up this strange new schedule. Besides being tired, the night time hours are some of the longest and lonliest for me. It's not like I can wake Matt, or call someone to chat.



I'd love to say that I'm one of those moms who can sqeeze joy and energy from the opportinity to cuddle and get to know my baby. Maybe next week . . . uh, month . . .uh



In the mean time, I'm greatful to have had this tender mercy come to mind at the beginning of night 6.



http://www.lds.org/conference/sessions/display/0,5239,23-1-1117,00.html



Other (hidden) tender mercies:


Our computer room/nursery/spear room set up.

My husband watching sports online.

My desires to not wake my husband and to read the new conference Ensign at the same time, one handed.

The lovely array of midnight snacks bought by my husband for me.

Again, being one handed, making all of my two-handy craft hobbies impossible.

6 comments:

Leslie@leserleeslovesandhobbies said...

Those nights are hard and lonely. I have no consoling words for you, except that someday it will get better. What seemed to help with Abigail was feeding her in her room, in the dark, that way I didn't wake up too much, and she tended to go back down easy. I think those parents that get up, and watch TV and stuff are nuts, because the brain wakes up too much, and it makes it harder to go to bed when feeding time is over. But that's just me.

Dave & Chels said...

Being a mom is tough, especially at first. It does get easier, over time. And newborns - up until about two months - are very time consuming. I remember it getting easier around the time they were 8 weeks old. I'm sure you are doing fine! It's a good thing Heavenly Father gave us everything we need to be good mothers.

tracy said...

Oh Sarah! Yes, those nights are hard! Nap when she naps during the day is the best way to get more sleep. Have you tried sleeping with her in your own bed so you can at least stay horizontal?

Love you and can't wait to see you and Jill!

Devin and Andrea said...

Yes... I agree the nights are lonely, and very hard. I Know..Carter is 14 months now and still wakes 2-3 times a night. I would say it is going to get better, but your probably will... I just sleep when he sleeps, even during the day. It is a hard adjustment, but we can do it. that is why we are women. I don't think men could do it. But way to go and hang in there. you could call me at nights if you are really lonely. I will probably be up!

Susannah said...

Oh Goodness, I remember those days. They can be so....hard, but totally worth it. Let me know if you need a babysitter so you can sleep!

Kimberly said...

I became an expert "one-handed-typist-while-breast-feeding-in-the-middle-of-the-night-er." I kind of miss the 2am blogs and 4:30am facebook quizzes - I must have been crazy! Who needs to multi-task while breast-feeding?