Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Killing Frost

Fact: Idaho is a really cold, dry place.
Fact: Not many bugs survive Winter, or Spring, or Fall in Idaho.
Fact: I really like not having so many bugs around.
Maybe Fact: Little gnats have a special way of hiding in the dirt and making it though the hard Idaho Winters.
Fact: Little gnats are my least favorite bugs, but my most frequent house guests.

I love house plants. I have a lot of them. I have an Ivy from my roommate, an Aloe from my boss, a spider plant I swiped from somewhere public (just a clipping mind you), the basil, parsley, and chives I've been growing in my kitchen window for the past year, and a few others. I've noticed over the years that when my plants do well so do the gnats that live in them. So sad. So I got into the habit of putting them outside during these sunny winter days to try to freeze the bugs out. I'm pretty sure they dig deeper into the soil, because it never works.

Well, this past two weeks have been warm so I put the plants out while I cleaned the rest of the house. Then at night I brought them in again. Matt liked that idea a lot, so Saturday while I was working he put the plants out. They were sitting on the floor waiting for another sunny day like that one and he needed the room in front of the washer and drier for other "husbandly duties." (IE: doing my chores for me while I was at work.) I got home late and we stayed in to watch a movie.

Sunday morning we slept in then went straight to church. During our services, the Idaho Winter dealt us a cold blow and left the ground and roads covered in snow and ice. As we drove home slowly I looked up at our apartment like I always do and noticed something green on the patio. "Are those our plants?" I said. All Matt said was, "Oops." It was really cute and I just laughed. We got inside and made lunch then pulled the plants in out of the wind. The basil had icicles, the waxy plants were completely gone, and the chives and aloe looked a little shocked, but the ivy looked like it was just soaking it up.

Now it's Tuesday and we've made some observations.

Fact: You can't kill an ivy, you can only make it stronger.
Fact: You can't kill gnats, you can only make them stronger.
Fact: You can't kill love, even if you kill most of the house plants.

5 comments:

Marci said...

Wow, what great lessons to be learned. You are so great at blogging. I will try to be better at commenting :D
Your haircut is super cute... I am pretty sure I told you that.

lizzy said...

Okay, I get the point...start leaving you little messages about how much we miss you and to come visit B-town...just wait until it warms up!

Cassie said...

LOL, you know that's why I gave you that plant, it is really strong. :)

Dave & Chels said...

While I am loving Texas weather, I am also missing the cold weather for one reason alone - it does a great job of killing bugs. If only I could have appreciated that more when we lived in Idaho!

Lorraine said...

I get those little gnats, too. But I haven't watered my ficus tree in several weeks, and I haven't seen any gnats lately, so maybe if you cut back on watering. I guess if the plants are already dead, you can't kill them.