Sunday, March 29, 2009

Setting Sail

About at month ago Matt and I went to our local history museum to see a very cool exhibit about the Titanic. The evening was great. (It was actually the opening benefit for museum sponsors, and we were invited because some of our friends are just that.) As we walked in, each guest was handed a Boarding Pass and told to enjoy the cruise.



We went through the benefit part of the exhibit. They had a third class meal set up in a very cold cement floor room with benches. The meal consisted of chili, soda bread, and what I thought was ice cream. (I later realized it was butter scooped with an ice cream scoop. I don't make it to many of these things. I didn't know.)

Down the hall was a lovely warm room with tables and chairs, a band and delicious looking banquet foods. We filled our plates and had a good time admiring the punch bowl which was made completely of ice. This room was supposed to represent the first class meal.

The whole exhibit was wonderful, I'm sad I couldn't take pictures for you. There were parts of the ship and people dressed up to tell you about who they were and what their reaction to the sinking was. My favorite parts were the comparison of the 3rd class and 1st class price and room set up, (I'm pretty sure the last time I went cruising I paid the 1st class price for a 3rd class space.) and the giant iceberg in the foyer you could hold your hand on to see how long you might stand clinging to one while waiting for a rescue boat.

At the end of the exhibit you could check the survivor and non-survivor posters to see if the person belonging to your boarding pass was one of the lucky few.
Here's the name on mine:


Matt kept telling me I survived, he knew for sure. I thought he was just being nice, but then we passed a poster about Molly Brown. Yah. Not only did I survive. They made a movie about it.

Matt did not fair so well.
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Ellen said...

You must not have stayed at home lately as we do scoop our margarine with an ice cream scoop.

We really had a good laugh, as we sometimes have visitor think it's something sweet as well.

Lorraine said...

Wow! You were THE Molly Brown. That's awesome. And I love all your posting of late.