No matter where I go in life or who I meet, I find the most motivation and encouragement in my own sisters. I'm sure Jane Austen or Louisa May Alcot or someone else said something like that.
While talking to Mary at the beginning of the month we found we have a common goal . . . Read A Tale of Two Cities sometime in our life, perferably sooner than later. We also needed a little help getting the ball rolling. Now, just so you know Mary, I'm on page 90 and I think I just met the most important characters.
Feel free, anyone else, to join us in our little literary adventure.
Here for you is a short list of reasons why I like Dickens (even though I've never actually finished reading any of his books.)
1. I think he's a wonderful historian.
2. His characters make me laugh. Although their situations are very sad, most of them have a wonderful sense of humor. Most!
3. If I had been living in his time,, I'm sure I would have been one of those funny girls who snuck the newspaper from the men in my life to secretly read his stories in the attic.
It's a very short list!



4 comments:
A Tale of Two Cities, although VERY WORDY, is one of the best books I've ever read (back in high school! I need to read it again!).
Also, you really ought to add A Christmas Carol to your list of books to read; it's really quite a light read, and it's AWESOME! I read it every year at Christmas time. Just sayin'...
Can I join your book club? :) I miss reading and I need some motivation. I also need someone to tell me what books to read because I'm so indecisive. You two are perfect. :) I've got the book requested at the library and I'll pick it up soon!
Reason number 4: Nicholas Nickleby brought William and me together in the most unexpected of ways, and now we're married.
A Tale of Two Cities is one of my absolute favorites! I even started writing a musical version (because, you know me and what a music dork I am :), until I found out someone else already wrote one. I should take a look at it again, though.
I hope you enjoy this lovely book!
Post a Comment